To achieve significant fuel saving and superior sea keeping in a way that is suitable for adaption to a wide range of vessels, with differing lengths and multiple markets.
Its clear that one definitive solution does not fit such a broad range of leisure and commercial vessels and so a flexible approach is necessary. This method can then be adopted to enable BAR Technologies to help multiple clients. Meeting this challenge is only achievable with the complete range of knowledge, skills and expertise uniquely present within a single team at BAR Technologies.
Combining our latest hull and foil optimisation techniques, blended machine learning-based optimisation approaches, advanced parametric modelling and world-leading CFD simulation with bespoke mechanical component design, control logic and system design we developed a solution
BAR Technologies has developed and patented FOSS (Foil Optimisation and Stability System). It combines the latest in active hydrofoil technology with advanced hull hydrodynamic optimisation. The resulting system achieves significant hydrodynamic efficiency gains whilst actively improving handling and sea keeping (See Princess Yachts case study).
The use of active, differential foil actuation has demonstrated the following handling and comfort advantages:
- General motion damping – the vessel feels larger and more stable.
- Active roll and trim response – counters sea state, loading conditions and the effects of speed and acceleration on trim, also negates the need for stabiliser fins when underway.
- Roll response in turns – the amount of banking in a turn can be reduced or exaggerated to suit personal preference.
- Decoupling the effect of roll and yaw in quartering seas – significantly reduces broaching behaviour and increasing control.
- Ability to select vessel response, providing the most appropriate passenger experience for those onboard.
Fully developed FOSS solutions are offered to the bespoke motor and superyacht markets in addition to the work boat market.